Friday, June 24, 2011

Trudging Through the System

I know, I know, I just posted, but there's some serious frustrations that I think need to be expressed. It's hard for me to talk with folks who need services and not do anything to try to help them find them. I've set about trying to compile some referrals that will be provided to TC3 so that they have an up-to-date resource. Don't worry, it won't be shared until my TC3 interviews are complete on Monday so as to retain my methodological credibility.

As someone with access to a cell phone, a desk phone with unlimited minutes, and 24 hour/day internet, I cannot even begin to imagine the frustrations TC3 folks feel in trying to find resources for medical care. Again, it becomes ever more obvious why someone would choose the ER over a phone-transferring run around. Moreover, TC3 folks are limited to three minutes on the camp phone so any time spent on hold eats up alloted minutes.

Here's my prime example trying to find pre-natal care:

1. Call Medicaid. Wait on hold for 15 minutes. Robot voice says I have at least another 30 minutes of wait time. Give up on this referral option.
2. Call Planned Parenthood for a referral idea instead. They offer free birth control and yearly exams (Hooray!) but suggest I call Medicaid. I share that it puts me on hold for an hour.
3. I search on the Department of Health website for referral numbers. I call a Downtown Seattle clinic which says they have a home visiting nurse and explain the situation and needs. They say I need to speak with WIC.
4. This clinic transfers me to Kent County WIC HQ. I've now left Seattle services behind for some reason.
5. I tell Kent County WIC person what I'm looking for. She asks for address, wonders why I'm calling Kent, and then tells me phone number for a clinic-based WIC office near TC3.
6. I call the suggested number for this clinic WIC office, only to find a recording telling me that the number has been changed.
7. I call the new number and hear a voicemail message saying that the WIC office isn't open on Fridays.
8. More than 30 minutes since beginning this process, I leave a voicemail at the local WIC office. Hopefully they'll call me back on Monday.
I'd be ready to head over to the ER just about now too.



No comments:

Post a Comment