Monday, June 13, 2011

A Staggering View

When I described this project to friends, the response was typically one of two things. People either expressed enthusiasm coupled with a recognition of the potential challenges I might encounter or folks expressed shock and dismay that in 2011, the United States has tent cities, communities suggestive of the 1930s and 1940s 'shantytowns.'

St. Joseph Parish, the host church
Before embarking on this summer's work, I had heard a bit, here and there, about tent cities popping up throughout the nation, mostly in response to the current economic climate. The general pattern seems to be that many families, once solidly middle class, employed and paying down household mortgages, now face unemployment and homelessness, having had their homes foreclosed upon. I'm not sure yet if that particular scenario applies to Tent City 3 here in Seattle, but it seems to be a general truth with regards to other tent cities, including those that have sprung up in Sacramento, and St. Petersburg, Florida.

I thought that I had had enough time to digest the project before getting to Seattle, that I wouldn't be shocked to see TC3 in-person. And yet, today, as I walked over to TC3's new location in Capital Hill, what I found was indeed, staggering. Staggering because of its size and capacity. Staggering because it (and its residents) must move every three months. Staggering because of its ability to be reconstructed in a matter of hours to ensure people a place to sleep that night.

Houses in the neighborhood
TC3's new location- on the beautiful property owned by St. Joseph's Parish- has actually been its old location twice before and it seems like congregants and neighbors know the drill. But it's tough to ignore the juxtaposition of the tent city in this neighborhood. The houses are large and beautiful (I walked past one with its own, private basketball court), the sidewalks have colorful mosaics cemented into them, and poppies are blooming on well-groomed lawns. Then there's the tent city. I took a few photos but didn't want to encroach on the community's request for privacy so they're from afar.
The tent city is surrounded by fencing to offer a bit of privacy

You can just see the tops of the tents down below
I'm eager to hear TC3 residents' thoughts about the community and am sure I'll continue to be impressed and challenged. Hopefully, some interviews can begin next week to learn more about health care access specifically. Tomorrow, I'm meeting with Seattle artist Mimi Allin who spent three months living in TC3 (check out her blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment