Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Report Drop Offs



All the font's really small but here's what the data looks like.
With my time in Seattle quickly drawing to a close- I fly back east tomorrow for a good friend's Vermont wedding- I wanted to pull together some loose ends. All of the information the women have shared with me has now been collected into a glorious, overflowing Excel spreadsheet. And over the past week, I've been writing an initial report with key findings, anecdotes, and data concerning demographics.

When I conducted the interviews, I promised the women that I'd drop off copies of the report so they could see the findings. I swung by both Angeline's and Tent City 3, at its newest location, yesterday to hand over copies.

This is TC3's new location, up in Northern Seattle at Haller Lake Methodist Church. Folks at TC3 shared that they are almost completely set up now (the move was on Saturday and yesterday was Tuesday). It's certainly an awe-inspiring move that occurs every 60-90 days. They'll get to stay at this site through October, which is a great thing since the move is so labor intensive and emotionally draining. However, it takes at least an hour (which can include a 20 minute walk) to get to and from the site from downtown Seattle. And while it's roomy and the neighborhood seems especially friendly, that's a long way to travel for a job or a doctor's appointment. Plus, if King County bus cuts are made, it will be even more of a trip as the two buses that go there- the 41 and 358- are both slated to be reduced. 

While I'm definitely nervous to see what interviewees' reactions to the initial report might be- I left my email for any feedback- I hope that the general conclusions I've been able to draw represent their thoughts. And hopefully, this analysis can serve as a way to hear the needs and feelings of homeless women directly. Often times, and I know I've been guilty of this, assumptions are made about others' needs without appropriate direct consultation with the impacted communities.

I'll post some key take-aways shortly as well.

Just as an FYI, while I'm headed back to school shortly, this project will most likely turn into my thesis work so the policy ideas and examinations of other cities health care for the homeless will continue. Plus, any excuse to come back and visit Seattle is quite appealing!

No comments:

Post a Comment